Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Ama Loses Some Wisdom

So, I've needed to get my wisdom teeth out for over a year now, but I'm terrified of the dentist. In the middle of March, one of my wisdom teeth got infected and pretty much forced me to go see an oral surgeon. I went to the surgeon on March 31 and was scheduled to have all four teeth surgically removed on May 3.

All I thought about for that month was my surgery... constantly. I was so anxious about getting it done since I have never had any type of surgery and have never been put to sleep. I have cried and stressed for the last month. Now, after the surgery has been over, let me tell you I over thought it way too much.

I barely slept the night before. Tuesday morning I got up, got dressed, woke up James, and waited for my mom. We headed to the oral surgeon. I started crying in the waiting room because I was so scared. They called me back and the rest is a blur.

After checking my heart and a reassuring pat on the head from the surgeon, they hooked my up to machines and gave me some gas. They hooked up the iv. The last thing I completely remember is them covering my up and putting a thing in my mouth to keep it open. I vaguely remember waking up sometime during surgery for just a moment. I could hear them talking and felt them give me Novocaine.

After they finished, I was taken to recovery. I remember bits and pieces of this. Apparently, I said some silly things and freaked out a bit about waking up. After a little time in recovery, they sent me home. I don't really remember the ride home. James and my mom made me lie on the couch while James ran and got food and he and my mom cooked mashed potatoes.

I guess what I'm saying is that it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was one of the simplest things I have every done.

I'm taking four days off work to heal and charting the swelling on my Facebook. I thought I was feeling better today, but I'm still really sore, tired, and drugged. So here's some pictures:

Day of surgery:



Day after surgery:



So, if you need to get your wisdom teeth out, definitely get it done under anesthesia if you can. It's definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment